Introducing Meta accounts
What is Meta Horizon?
Meta Horizon includes destinations like Meta Horizon Worlds, Meta Horizon Workrooms and your Meta Horizon Home. You’ll show up as your Meta Horizon profile in these spaces as well as other VR apps. Whenever you update your avatar or call someone in VR, you do it with Meta Horizon.
To get started with Meta Horizon, learn about:
Note: Meta Horizon Worlds is currently available in select countries.
What is a Meta account?
A Meta account lets you log into your VR devices and view and manage your purchased content in one place. You can set up a Meta account with your email address or Facebook account. If this is your first time creating an account to use a Meta VR product, you can also set up a Meta account with your Instagram account.
When we launch Meta accounts in August 2022:
- You won’t be required to use Facebook to log into Meta VR products.
- If you're new to VR, you'll create a Meta account as part of the setup process.
- If you currently use a Facebook account to access your VR device or you’re using a Meta Quest 2, you'll need to set up a Meta account to continue using your device. During this process, you can choose if you want to use Facebook as a part of your VR experience.
- If you currently log in with an Oculus account on Meta Quest and older devices like Rift, you can wait until January 1, 2023 to set up your Meta account. Oculus accounts don’t have access to social features offered by Meta such as finding followers to play games with or connecting with people in Meta Horizon Worlds. As we update and launch new features, some of these features won't be available to Oculus accounts.
Note: Meta Horizon Worlds is currently available in select countries.
If you're an existing user who updates to a Meta account, your apps, achievements and friends are migrated over as part of the setup process.
You can have more than one Meta account, but:
- Each account requires a unique email address, Facebook account, or Instagram account that are not already part of the same Accounts Center.
- You can only add 3 other Meta accounts to your Meta Quest or Meta Quest 2 device.
- Eligible apps bought on one Meta account are only available to your other accounts through app sharing on Meta Quest and Meta Quest 2 devices.
What is a Meta Horizon profile?
A Meta Horizon profile is your social presence and how you appear to others. You can customize your username, avatar and other information. You can create one Meta Horizon profile per Meta account.
From your Meta Horizon profile, you manage information like your:
- Name: The name you want to be called. This name does not need to be unique.
- Username: A unique username for your profile (example: WarriorMama365)
- Profile picture.
- Avatar: If you already created an avatar, you can use that same avatar for your profile.
This information is public and is shared with apps you download so you can use your Meta Horizon profile in those apps. People can search for your name or username and send you follow requests.
You can change your Meta Horizon name, profile picture, and avatar as often as you like, but your unique username can only be changed once every six months.
When you set up your profile, you must create a name and username before entering VR.
Logging in to Meta Quest
You control your VR experience using your Meta account and Meta Horizon profile.
Your Meta account is the credentials you use to log into your VR device. If you’re an existing Meta VR user, you can set up a Meta account with an email address or Facebook account. If you’re a new Meta VR user, you can also set up your Meta account using your Instagram account in addition to your email address or Facebook account. You’re not required to use Facebook to log into VR.
When you first create a Meta account, you’ll also create a Meta Horizon profile to customize how you appear in VR.
You can add up to three additional Meta accounts to your Meta Quest device or edit your account from your account settings.
To manage account settings from your Meta Quest headset:
- Press on your right Touch controller to pull up your universal menu.
- Hover over the clock on the left side of the universal menu. When Quick Settings appears, select it to open the Quick Settings panel.
- Select Settings in the top right corner.
- Select Accounts and profiles.
To manage account settings from the Oculus mobile app:
- Open the Oculus mobile app on your phone.
- Tap Menu, then tap Settings.
- Tap Account Settings.
To manage account settings from secure.oculus.com/my/profile:
- Click your profile picture in the top right corner.
- Click Settings.
- Click Account Settings.
What is Accounts Center?
Your Accounts Center is a place where you can manage connected experiences (like syncing your profile information) across your Facebook, Instagram and Meta accounts.
In Accounts Center you can add a total of 25 accounts that can be made up of either:
- One Facebook account and up to 24 Instagram accounts.
- One Facebook account, one Meta account and up to 23 Instagram accounts.
- Up to 25 Instagram accounts.
After you add accounts to the same Accounts Center, you can turn on and off different experiences, and manage those connected experiences like:
- More easily logging in to Meta VR devices with your Instagram or Facebook account.
- Syncing your name, profile picture, username, or avatar across Facebook, Instagram, or Meta Horizon profile.
Control who sees your information, including your Activity and Active Status
You can choose how social you want to be, and how your information is shared with others through your Privacy Settings. For example, you can control who sees your Activity, including apps you use, and whether to turn on your Active Status which shows when you’re currently or were recently active.
You can control who can see your Activity in VR and on other surfaces where your Meta Horizon profile is used.
- Your use of Meta VR devices and apps you downloaded from the Meta Quest Store or App Lab.
- Information that apps share with us about your activity in those apps (examples: your achievements, high scores, or what worlds/places you visited in the app).
You can choose to share your Activity with the following audience:
- Public (which means anyone can see your Activity)
- Your Followers (only people who follow you can see your Activity)
- Only Me (only you can see your Activity)
- Note: Even if you set your Activity setting to Only Me, your activity in specific apps may be visible to others (example: your name appearing on leaderboards).
Turn your Active Status on to share when you are or were recently active in VR and on other surfaces that support the Meta Horizon profile. You can also turn on Show the app you're currently using so your Active Status will show the name of the app you’re using.
People who have their Active Status on will see a or a timestamp that shows when you were last active. Keep in mind that when you turn off your Active Status, you also won’t be able to see anyone else’s Active Status.
Note: Even if you set your Active Status setting to Off, your presence in specific apps will still be shown to others who are using the same app you’re currently in. Other apps may also have their own Active Status setting, such as Messenger in VR.
Private Profile is a privacy setting you can turn on for your Meta Horizon profile. When Private Profile is on:
- You’ll receive requests to approve followers. You can choose to unfollow anyone or remove followers at any time.
- Only your followers can see your following and followers lists.
- Your profile information like name, username and avatar will remain public.
- People can still search your name or username and send you follow requests.
Oculus accounts after January 1, 2023
In January 2023, we’ll end support for Oculus accounts. At that time, you’re required to use a Meta account to log into Meta VR devices. You will not be required to use Facebook to continue using our VR platform. You will be offered the choice to add your Meta account to the same Accounts Center as your Facebook or Instagram account to enable connected experiences, but this choice is completely up to you.
All Meta Quest devices released in the future will require a Meta account, even if you already have an Oculus account.