Tips to help you find contacts on Meta Portal
Your Meta Portal contacts are the Facebook friends and WhatsApp contacts of all accounts linked to your Meta Portal.
If you can’t find these contacts:
- Check which Facebook or WhatsApp account you are using:
- From home, tap the picture in the top left corner. This should be the profile picture for your Facebook, WhatsApp or Workplace account. If you have multiple accounts connected to your profile, it will default to your Facebook profile picture.
- Tap the profile you would like to use, or Add Profile.
- Add additional accounts to your profile.
- Check your hidden messenger contacts.
- Restart your Meta Portal.
Fix audio issues or echo on Meta Portal
If you can’t hear other callers, you can:
- Adjust the volume.
- Check your Wi-Fi signal strength.
- Unplug your Meta Portal, then plug it back in and try the call again.
If other callers can’t hear you, make sure:
- Your Meta Portal is not muted.
- Plastic packaging isn’t covering your mics.
- Your camera cover is not covering your mics.
Echo during a call
Echo is when one caller speaks and hears their own voice reflected back at them. If you hear your own voice echoed, that means someone else's device is causing it. If the people talking to you hear their own voices, then your device may be causing the echo.
To figure out which device is causing the echo, mute each person on the call one by one. If the echo goes away while you’re muted, try these steps:
- Turn down the volume.
- Move your Meta Portal at least 2 feet away from walls, out of corners and cupboards and away from reflective surfaces (example: windows).
- Move Meta Portal to a different room.
If you continue experiencing issues, please contact Meta Store Support at store.facebook.com/help/support for assistance.
Resolve the error message when you try to make a call on Meta Portal
If you’re receiving an error message when you try to make a call on Meta Portal, it may mean your Meta Portal is running an old version of the Meta Portal software. To continue making and receiving calls on Meta Portal to connect with friends and family, you may need to update the software.
Meta Portal will automatically update if it is plugged in, connected to Wi-Fi and not being used so that it can enter a “sleep” mode. Your Meta Portal will automatically go to “sleep” mode after 15 minutes without use, or you can put your Meta Portal to sleep manually by swiping up from the bottom of your Meta Portal screen and tapping the on-screen power button. Meta Portal will restart once the update has been installed.
Once the software has been updated, you will need to log back in to your Meta Portal by following the on-screen instructions.
Why your Meta Portal calls might be freezing, dropping or blurry
If your calls are pixelated, blurry, dropping or freezing during a call, you or the person you're calling may have a weak signal.
When making video calls, we recommend a download speed of 5Mbps per individual you're calling, for example, a group call with 3 other people would require a download speed of 15Mbps.
If your Wi-Fi signal strength is weak, try the following:
- Move your Meta Portal closer to your Wi-Fi router (internet connection device) and check the signal strength.
- Unplug your Meta Portal, modem (internet connection device) and router, plug them back in and check the signal strength.
- Change your Wi-Fi network and check the signal strength.
Fix the Meta Portal camera's ability to automatically follow you
If your Meta Portal's camera is having trouble following your movement, try the following:
- End your call and then try again.
- Unplug your device and plug it back in again.
If you continue experiencing issues with your Meta Portal's Smart Camera, please contact Meta Store Support at store.facebook.com/help/support for assistance.
Why Meta Portal doesn't ring when you call from the Messenger app
If a Meta Portal doesn't ring after an attempted call, you may be on a version of Messenger that is incompatible with Meta Portal. Your Messenger app should automatically update to the compatible version within 30 to 60 minutes of your attempted call.
To make sure you're on a compatible version of the Messenger app:
- Download the latest version of Messenger on your phone or tablet.
- Attempt a call to a Meta Portal device from the Messenger app. If the attempted call does not ring on Meta Portal, wait 60 minutes and try again.