I'm an EU user. What is a GDPR objection and how do I object for Meta Quest?
Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), residents of the European Union have the legal right to object at any time to the processing of their personal data where the legal basis for that processing is:
- The legitimate interests of Meta or of a third party; or
- Tasks carried out in the public interest.
They can also object at any time to the processing of their personal data for direct marketing purposes, regardless of the legal basis relied upon.
HOW CAN I SUBMIT AN OBJECTION?
To submit an objection, follow the instructions on the form, and please make sure to provide all of the information requested by the form so we can review your objection properly.
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I OBJECT TO META'S PROCESSING OF MY DATA?
After we receive your objection, our team will review it carefully. We'll then let you know whether or not your objection has been granted and give you the reason(s) for our decision.
WHAT HAPPENS IF MY OBJECTION IS SUCCESSFUL?
If your objection is successful, we will stop processing your related information. You can also request the erasure of your data under article 17(1)(c) of the GDPR. You can make this request when submitting an objection via the online form.
We consider several factors when reviewing your objection including: reasonable expectations; the benefits and risks to you, us, other users, or third parties; and other available means to achieve the same purpose that may be less invasive and don't require disproportional effort.
CAN MY OBJECTION BE DENIED?
Yes. There may be several reasons for this:
- For processing outside of direct marketing, our legal basis is something other than our legitimate interests (or those of a third party) or tasks carried out in the public interests;
- Your objection is not sufficiently grounded; or
- After analyzing your objection (i.e. completing a balancing test), we believe our legitimate interests (or those of a third party) are not outweighed by your interests or fundamental rights and freedoms.