Setting up your Oculus Rift S
Before you get started, make sure your Rift S and PC firmware and software are up to date.
Plug in your headset
Your Oculus Rift S uses USB 3.0 and DisplayPort connectors to connect to your computer. We've listed the different options that you can and can't use to connect your Rift S below:
- DisplayPort Connection: You can connect your Oculus Rift S to any DisplayPort port that is directly connected to a discrete GPU.
- Mini DisplayPort Connection: You can connect your Oculus Rift S to any Mini DisplayPort port that is directly connected to a discrete GPU using the mDP → DP adapter included with your Rift S.
- Mini DisplayPort Connection with third party adapter: Currently, the only mDP → DP adapter certified to work is the one provided with your Rift S. If other adapters are used, we cannot guarantee functionality or performance.
- HDMI Connection with third party adapter: Currently, there are no known adapters that will work from HDMI → DP. If this changes, we’ll update this article to include any supported adapters. Until then, we don't recommend trying to use Rift S with any PC or laptop that does not have a DisplayPort port or Mini DisplayPort port.
- USB Type-C Connection with third party adapter: Currently, we cannot make any recommendations for USB-C → DP. If this changes, we’ll update this article to include any supported adapters.
- In order to ensure basic functionality, any display port used to connect Rift S needs to be directly connected to a discrete GPU.
Set up your headset software
To set up your Oculus Rift S or Rift, you'll need to download the Oculus app on your PC. Before you install the Oculus app, check to make sure that your hard drive has sufficient disk space.
When you install the Oculus app on your computer, it'll install on the C: drive. If you want to install the app on a different system drive follow this support article for additional instruction.
To download and install the Oculus app on your computer:
- Go to www.oculus.com/setup and click Download Oculus Rift Software.
- Open the Oculus app and click Install Now.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to create an Oculus account and set up your Rift S or Rift.
Adjust headset fit and feel
Put on your headset and make sure it fits comfortably.
- Adjust the velcro top strap until the Rift S sits comfortably on your head.
- Rotate the fit wheel to adjust the tightness of the halo band.
- If you’re wearing glasses, put the headset on from the front first.
- Press the depth adjustment button on the bottom of the headset to adjust the lenses in or out for more clarity and a comfortable fit over glasses.