Product care and best practices
Cleaning your headset
Cleaning your Meta Quest 2 or Meta Quest
It's important to take care of your Meta products and clean them often. Cosmetic wear and tear and physical damages are not covered under warranty.
To clean your Meta Quest 2 or Meta Quest:
- Use a dry cloth to clean the outside of your headset.
- Use non-abrasive, anti-bacterial wipes to clean the straps and the facial interface foam. Don’t use alcohol or an abrasive cleaning solution.
To clean your Meta Quest 2 or Meta Quest headset lenses:
- Use a dry optical lens micro-fiber cloth to clean your headset lenses. Don’t use liquid or chemical cleansers.
- Starting from the center of the lens, gently wipe the lens in a circular motion moving outwards.
To clean your Meta Quest 2 or Meta Quest controllers:
- Use a dry cloth or non-abrasive anti-bacterial wipes to clean your remote. Don’t use alcohol or an abrasive cleaning solution.
Keep your Meta Quest 2 or Meta Quest safe and in good condition
It’s important to take care of your Meta Quest 2 or Meta Quest and secure it in a safe place. Keep in mind your limited warranty doesn’t cover normal wear and tear or physical damages.
To keep your Meta Quest 2 or Meta Quest safe, follow these tips:
- To avoid damaging your lenses and display, keep your headset away from direct sunlight. Your headset can be permanently damaged from less than a minute of exposure to direct sunlight.
- To avoid scratching your lenses, keep your headset away from sharp objects (example: cable tips, keys).
- To avoid damaging your headset or straps, be gentle when adjusting your headset and tightening the straps.
- Do not use or wear your headset while connected to the power adapter or charging.
- Use the glasses spacer that comes in the box if you plan to wear glasses while using Meta Quest 2.
- To avoid general damage:
- Don’t leave your headset in extremely hot locations (example: inside of a car).
- Don’t leave your headset near heat sources (example: furnace).
- Don’t leave your headset near pets or small children.
- Don’t eat, drink or smoke near your headset.
- Secure your headset in a safe place when you’re not using it.
Adjusting and cleaning your Meta Quest 2 straps
Adjusting your Meta Quest 2 headset
- To start, you'll want to gently adjust the lenses by shifting them left, then right until they click into the position that allows you to see what's on the screen most clearly.
- Next, adjust the side straps. To do this, move the two sliders on either side of the top strap.
- To loosen the side straps, move the sliders toward the top strap. To tighten the side straps, move the sliders away from the top strap.
- After you move the sliders, center the top strap between the sliders so that the two sides are equal, and the top strap is centered on your head when you put the headset on.
- Keep in mind, you'll need to remove the headset from your head to adjust the side straps with the sliders.
- If you're wearing glasses, make sure to insert the glasses spacer. When you're ready to put the headset on, put it on from front to back.
- Place the headset on your head, then remove it and make any additional adjustments to the side straps as needed.
- Once you've got the side straps set, put your headset back on and adjust the top strap. You can adjust the top strap by pulling apart the velcro and reattaching it so that your Meta Quest 2 rests lightly on your face and the picture is clear.
- You can fine tune your headset fit and clarity by gently moving the firm arms on either side of your Meta Quest 2 up and down to adjust the angle of the headset against your face.
Cleaning your Meta Quest 2 headstrap
Due to its light coloring, some hair dyes may come off on and change the color of the headstrap on your Meta Quest 2. If this happens, you can wash your headstrap:
- Remove your headstrap from your Meta Quest 2:
- Pull apart the velcro on the strap at the front of your headset.
- Gently remove one of the firm arms from the side of your headset.
- Slide the top strap off the detached firm arm.
- Clean your headstrap using cold water and soap.
- Allow your headstrap to air dry, do not try to put it in a dryer.
- Reattach your headstrap to your Meta Quest 2:
- Slide the back loop of the headstrap over one of the detached firm arms.
- Move the headstrap back to its original position so that its centered between the side straps.
- Slide the velcro part of the strap through the plastic loop at the top of the headset.
- Follow the fit steps listed above to adjust your headset until it's resting lightly on your face and the picture is clear.
Protecting your headset
Safely transporting your Meta Quest 2
Without wires or sensors, Meta Quest 2 and Meta Quest were meant to travel with you. The cases shown below can help protect your headset when you go from exploring in-VR, to traveling in the real world.
Keep in mind, both of these cases prioritize portability, which means that it was designed to hold everything that came with your headset, and nothing that didn't. To ensure the longevity of your case, place your headset and accessories in the cases as shown below, and be careful not to over-pack them with anything extra.
Meta Quest 2 Carrying Case
To keep your Meta Quest 2 safe when you're on the go, check out the Meta Quest 2 Carrying Case. The Meta Quest 2 case can carry your Meta Quest 2 headset, along with an Elite Strap or Elite Strap With Battery, two Touch controllers, charging cable and power adapter.
Meta Quest Travel Case
To keep your Meta Quest safe while you're in transit, check out the Meta Quest Travel Case. The case can help provide protection for your headset, touch controllers, charging cable, adapter, and extra batteries, while keeping everything together in a single convenient package.
Avoiding sunlight damage with your Meta Quest 2
To avoid damaging your lenses and display, keep your headset away from anywhere that it might get exposed to the sun.
To keep your Meta Quest 2 or Meta Quest safe from sun exposure, follow these tips:
- Don't store or leave your headset anywhere where it can be exposed to sunlight. The lenses inside your headset can be permanently damaged from less than a minute of exposure to direct sunlight even if it's indoors.
- Do not use your headset outdoors.
- If you need to transport your headset, do so in a bag or case that keeps it safe and protected from direct sunlight.
Maximizing the battery life of your Meta Quest 2
There are a few best practices you can follow to maximize the battery life of your Meta Quest 2 or Meta Quest which are outlined below.
If you're looking for a way to extend the amount of play time you can get with your Meta Quest 2, check out the Elite Strap With Battery accessory.
Power down when not in use
To maximize the life of your internal battery, we recommend that you fully power-down, or turn off, the device when it's not in use, rather than just putting it to sleep. This is especially important if you'll be traveling with your Meta Quest 2 or Meta Quest, or carrying it in a bag or a case.
To turn your headset off, hold the power until the indicator light on the front of the headset turns off, and the power down chime is played.
This will ensure that the device isn't accidentally turned on by either jostling the power button, or from the device falsely detecting that it's been placed on someone's head for use.
Learn more about the difference between turning your headset off vs putting it to sleep.
Unplug when fully charged
Leaving your Meta Quest 2 or Meta Quest on the charger after it has been fully charged can reduce the overall battery life over time. When your headset is finished charging, the indicator light on the side of the headset will go from red to green. When this happens, unplug your headset. If you aren’t planning to use your headset after charging, power it off after unplugging.
Use the provided charger
When charging your Meta Quest 2 or Meta Quest, use the charger that was included in the box. While you may be able to charge your headset’s battery with chargers from other devices, your headset and its included charger were designed and tested to work optimally together and to maximize the performance of your headset.
Please note, if you’re having trouble getting your Meta Quest 2 or Meta Quest charger to fit correctly in a wall outlet, you may need to adjust the position of the grounding pin.