Explore Meta Horizon Worlds
Create and customize your avatar in Meta Horizon Worlds
When you first begin using Meta Horizon Worlds you’ll start by setting up your avatar. You’ll be able to customize your body, face, hair and clothing. After you save the changes to your avatar, you can always go back and change these features.
To customize your avatar:
- Turn over your left wrist and select on the Three Line icon then select the Profile icon.
- Select Edit Avatar in the top right. Once you select this you’ll be taken to your Personal Space.
- From here, you can customize Body, Hair, Face and Clothing.
- You can also select Randomize to get a random look for your avatar.
- Once you’re done, select Save Changes.
Note: If you’re already in Personal Space the Edit Avatar button will be grayed out under your profile icon.
Move your avatar in Meta Horizon Worlds
To move your avatar using Teleport Mode:
- Push forward with either thumbstick to bring up a circle to the floor.
- Point to a spot you want to travel to and then release to move there.
To change your movement preferences:
- Turn over your wrist and select the Three Line icon, then select the Settings icon.
- Select Movement, then select Preferences.
- Choose between Teleport and Slide. You can also adjust the Rotation Angle. The Rotation Angle decides how much you turn when you push the thumbstick left or right.
To move your avatar using Slide Mode:
- Push forward with your left thumbstick in the direction you want to travel.
- Push the right thumbstick in the left or right direction to turn.
- Click on your right thumbstick to jump.
To jump, click your right thumbstick. To sprint, click your left thumbstick. Keep in mind, these actions only work while in Slide Mode.
Grab objects in Meta Horizon Worlds
You’ll interact with many things throughout your time in Meta Horizon Worlds. From throwing boomerangs, shooting basketballs or using blasters during Laser Tag, using objects in a world is part of how you’ll explore in Meta Horizon Worlds.
To grab an object:
- Move your hand to the object you want to grab and point your palm to it.
- When the object is within range, a white circle will appear.
- Press and hold your Grab Trigger.
- To drop an object, let go of your Grab Trigger.
Explore worlds in Meta Horizon Worlds
To travel to a new world from the Plaza:
- From the Plaza, you’ll see world previews across the space.
- Walk up to a world you’re interested in visiting and select Visit World.
- From the Plaza, you’ll travel to the new world.
To travel to a new world from the Personal Menu:
- Turn over your left wrist and select the Three Line icon, then select the Pin icon.
You’ll see four categories:
- Featured A list of suggested worlds.
- Active A list of worlds that have people currently visiting them.
- New These are worlds that have been recently published and ready to explore.
- Current This is the world you’re currently in.
- From a category listed above, find a world you’d like to visit and select Go To.
Add someone as a friend in Meta Horizon Worlds
When exploring Meta Horizon Worlds, you may enjoy interacting with someone and want to add them as a friend. When you add them as a friend, it will be easier for you to find them and invite them to a party, explore, or create with you in the future.
To add someone as a friend in Horizon Worlds:
- Look at your wristband and select the Horizon menu.
- Select the People tab and find the person you want to add.
- Select the Three Dot icon near their name, then select Add Friend.
Note: Adding a person as a friend in Worlds will also add them as a friend to your Oculus account.
Use the Safe Zone in Meta Horizon Worlds
The Safe Zone is a personal space where you can take a moment away from other people and your surroundings. From here, you can mute, block and report content or people.
To access your Safe Zone:
- Look at your wristband.
- Select the Shield icon.
From here, you can:
- Report the world you’re currently in.
- View, report or block nearby people.
- Mute or unmute someone.
- Go to your Personal Space.
If someone doesn’t make you feel safe, you can block them from this menu. Learn how to block and unblock someone in Horizon Worlds.
Personal space in Meta Horizon Worlds
After your first experience in Meta Horizon Worlds, your personal space is where you’ll begin each session. Your personal space is a closed virtual space where you can hang out with people you invite. Nobody can enter your personal space unless they’re invited, including Worlds moderators. You decide who can join you in your personal space and what behavior is acceptable.
Once you’re in your personal space, you can invite up to 7 people to join you. Others aren’t notified when you’re in a personal space, whether you have guests in your space or who you’ve invited.
To invite people to your personal space:
- Look at your wristband and select the Worlds menu.
- Select Manage guests.
- If this is your first time inviting people to your personal space, you’ll be asked to set additional rules for your space.
- Select Invite.
- Hover over the person you want to invite and select More.
- Select Invite to Home.
The first time you invite people to your personal space, you will be asked to set additional rules for your personal space. Everyone who joins your personal space will need to accept these rules, which apply in addition to the Code of Conduct for Virtual Experiences. You can change these rules at any time from your personal space settings. If you change these rules, everyone will have to accept the new rules before they enter.
The list of rules you can add includes:
- Be kind and courteous
- No self-promotion or spammy behavior
- Respect everyone’s privacy
- Keep it clean. Don’t be obscene or vulgar
- No profanity or swearing
- No yelling, shouting, or being disruptive
- Don’t criticize
- Be respectful
- Agree to disagree
- Abide by the moderation decisions of the world owner
You are primarily responsible for making sure visitors follow the Code of Conduct for Virtual Experiences and any additional rules you set for your personal space. You can address behaviors that go against this Code of Conduct and your rules by using safety tools available to personal space owners:
- Mute: You can globally mute a person so that no one else in your space can hear them.
- Remove: You can remove anyone from your personal space. They will receive a notification that they have been removed.
Everyone in Meta Horizon Worlds has a range of safety features which they can use to help control their experience, including:
You can also report people for violating the Code of Conduct for Virtual Experiences, including reporting a user as underage. Learn more about how to report someone.
Meta Horizon Worlds Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is Meta Horizon Worlds?
A: Meta Horizon Worlds is a social experience where you can explore, play, and create worlds.
Q: What data is being shared about my activity in Meta Horizon Worlds with Facebook?
A: Meta Horizon Worlds is a Facebook product that requires people to log in with their Facebook account. You can read more in the Supplemental Beta Horizon Worlds Terms of Service and Supplemental Beta Horizon Worlds Data Policy.
Q: Does my use of Worlds impact the ads I see across Facebook products?
A: Meta Horizon Worlds is a Meta product and people can log into it with Facebook, so Facebook may use information about your use of Meta Horizon Worlds to provide you with more personalized ads.
Q: Are you recording what’s happening in Meta Horizon Worlds?
A: When you submit a report, you will be able to include captured information from what happened in the past. Your Oculus headset will be capturing the last few minutes of your experience in Horizon Worlds through a rolling buffer that’s processed locally on your device and is overwritten over time. Captured audio data from this rolling buffer is not stored on our servers unless a report is submitted, but we may store other data about your experience in Horizon Worlds in accordance with the Supplemental Beta Horizon Worlds Terms of Service. When you submit a report, we’ll use the information you send us to take appropriate action and then delete the recordings.
Q: How are you going to prevent harassment in Meta Horizon Worlds?
A: In Meta Horizon Worlds, we know it’s important for you to feel safe and in control of your experience and surroundings. So we’re building features into the product that give people choices, including:
- A Safe Zone button that lets you take a break from your surroundings.
- The ability to block and mute people.
- The ability to report people or content.
- Personal boundary so other players can’t get too close.
- Trained safety specialists who can monitor and record harmful conduct as it happens.
- When you submit a report, it will include the last few minutes of your experience. This recording is being captured by your Oculus headset on a rolling basis, so it's simpler to include evidence of what happened in the past.
Q: What information is visible to other people in Horizon Worlds when I use the product?
A: Meta Horizon Worlds is a public space, so when you interact with other people in Meta Horizon Worlds, you can be seen just as you would be in a real-world public space. Your Meta Horizon Worlds profile information (which includes details like your username, avatar, and your mutual Oculus friends who also play Meta Horizon Worlds) is always available to other people in Meta Horizon Worlds. This means your avatar may appear in photos, recordings, or livestreams that other people in Meta Horizon Worlds capture and share.
Supported countries for 3D avatars in Meta Horizon Worlds
Beginning January 31, 2022, we'll be offering 3D avatars to the following countries:
|AX||Aland Islands (Finland)|
|AG||Antigua and Barbuda|
|BA||Bosnia and Herzegovina|
|IO||British Indian Ocean Territory|
|VG||British Virgin Islands|
|CF||Central African Republic|
|CD||Congo, Democratic Republic|
|FM||Federated States of Micronesia|
|IM||Isle of Man|
|KP||North Korea (DPRK)|
|PG||Papau New Guinea|
|PM||Sainte Pierre and Miquelon|
|VC||Saint Vincent and the Grenadines|
|ST||Sao Tome and Principe|
|SJ||Svalbard and Jan Mayen|
|TT||Trinidad and Tobago|
|TC||Turks and Caicos|
|AE||United Arab Emirates|
|UM||United States Minor Outlying Islands|
|VI||United States Virgin Islands|
|US||United States of America|
|WF||Wallis and Futun|
Supported countries for Meta Horizon Worlds
Meta Horizon Worlds is currently available in the following countries:
- United Kingdom
- United States
To take a photo:
- Turn over your left wrist and select the Three Line icon then select the Camera icon.
- A selfie stick with a camera will appear in front of you. Grab the selfie stick with either hand and pull the trigger of your Oculus controller to take a picture.
- To take a picture of your surroundings, select the Rotate Camera icon.
- To close the camera, select the X icon in the top right.
When you take a picture, it will be added to a bar under your camera preview. You can tap into the photo thumbnail and share it from here.
To share a Horizon Worlds photo from your Oculus camera roll:
- Exit Horizon Worlds and select Share from the main menu.
- Select View All, then from your camera roll, select your photo and then select Share.
- From here, you can share it to your Facebook profile, a group or send it someone directly in Messenger.
Travel to a friend in Meta Horizon Worlds
When someone is your friend, you may have the option to meet them in the world they're currently in.
To travel to a friend in Meta Horizon Worlds:
- Look at your wristband and select the Horizon Worlds menu.
- Select the People tab and find the person you want to travel to.
- Select their profile, then select Join.
Remember, you can only travel to someone if they're in a location you're able to join. Some worlds or areas you may not be able to travel to.
Use parties in Meta Horizon Worlds
A party is made when a group of people want to explore together in Meta Horizon Worlds. By partying up, you make sure that everyone in your party goes to the same world at the same time. If you don’t party up, you may get separated from others you’re playing with.
To create a Party from your menu:
- Look at your wristband and select the Horizon menu.
- From the Horizon Worlds menu, select the People tab.
- Find the person you want to invite, select the Three Dot icon, then select Party Up.
Mute your microphone in Meta Horizon Worlds
When using Meta Horizon Worlds, other people around you will be able to hear you talking. If you prefer to not have anyone hear you, you can mute your microphone. You will remain muted until you re-enter Horizon Worlds or unmute yourself.
To mute and unmute your microphone, turn over your left wrist and select the Microphone icon.
Note: Your microphone can be enabled or disabled in the Apps section of the Settings menu on your Quest 2.
Block or unblock someone in Meta Horizon Worlds
If someone nearby makes you feel unsafe or uncomfortable, you can block them in your Safe Zone. Blocking someone in Meta Horizon Worlds will also block their Oculus account.
To block someone:
- Look at your wristband and select the Shield icon.
- From your Safe Zone, select View All Nearby People.
- Find the person’s card that you want to block and select Block.
Confirm you want to block them.
This person will no longer appear in worlds you’re visiting, and they won’t be able to contact you in Horizon Worlds.
If you want to unblock someone, you’ll need to close Horizon Worlds and visit your Oculus settings. You can also block someone from the People section of your Horizon menu.
To unblock someone:
- Open your Oculus menu and select the Settings icon. Doing this will prompt you to quit Horizon Worlds if it’s still running.
- From your Oculus Settings, select Device, and then select Privacy.
- Scroll down to Blocked Users and select list of users.
- Find the person you want to unblock, select their name, and select Unblock.
Once you unblock them from your Oculus settings, this person will be able to join you in parties, message you and may appear in worlds you travel to.
Report someone in Meta Horizon Worlds
A report for violating the Code of Conduct for Virtual Experiences is sent to a team of trained safety specialists for review. We also include the last few minutes of your Horizon Worlds audio and other interactions to help us investigate and determine what course of action to take. This content is deleted once the review is complete.
Additionally, when you or others file a report from a public experience, these safety specialists may also remotely view what’s going on in the space to take further action, including removing the user from that experience, or banning them from Horizon Worlds. To keep you up to date on the status of your report, we’ll send you email confirmations.
Report copyright or trademark infringement or other legal matters in Meta Horizon Worlds
Meta Horizon Worlds is committed to helping people and organizations protect their intellectual property rights as well as their (personal) legal rights against violations of applicable local laws.
If you believe someone is violating your intellectual property rights, you can find more information in the intellectual property section of the Help Center.
If you believe that content in Worlds violates your personal legal rights and/or applicable local laws, it is possible that the content may also violate our Code of Conduct for Virtual Experiences (examples: bullying, harassment, hate speech).
Please visit our Help Center to learn how to report possible violations of our Code of Conduct for Virtual Experiences.
If you would prefer to submit a request to remove content that you believe is unlawful, you can do so through our Legal removal request contact form. Please keep in mind that reporting content does not guarantee that it will be removed.
Please include all of the following information when reporting local law violations to Meta Horizon Worlds:
- Your contact information, including your full name and email address.
- A description of what specific laws you believe are violated by the reported content (including URLs or citations to the text of the laws).
- A description of the content that you believe violates the applicable local laws.
- The World name, World creator, and any other information that would be reasonably sufficient to allow us to locate the material in Meta Horizon Worlds.
- A screenshot of the content you believe violates applicable local laws.
- In order to take a screenshot within Worlds, press and hold the Oculus button, then press either one of your triggers to take a screenshot.
- You can also learn how to record a video on Meta Quest.
Community Guides in Meta Horizon Worlds
Community Guides are there to help you learn about all there is to know in Meta Horizon Worlds. From highlighting new experiences, to basic tips and tricks, they’re around to help make your experience enjoyable.
You’ll know you’re talking to one of these guides because they have Community Guide in their name tag. Community guides can also flag our trained safety specialists if they see or learn of inappropriate behavior, so let them know if you become aware of something that’s making Horizon Worlds feel unsafe or uncomfortable.
Known issues on Meta Horizon Worlds
Stuck on the Horizon Worlds loading page
We are aware that some people who’ve upgraded to new Meta accounts are experiencing problems entering Horizon Worlds. As we continue to investigate, please use the following steps if you are experiencing this.
End your session and trigger a re-login:
- Go to https://auth.meta.com/settings/security/
- If you unlinked your Facebook account from your Meta account, enter your Meta account password.
- If you maintained your link to your Facebook account, select Continue with Facebook and enter your Facebook password on the following screen.
- Go to Password and Security.
- Click the Edit button next to the Sessions section.
- Click Log out of all sessions.
- After a few seconds you should see a pairing code appear in your headset.
- Go to meta.com/device to complete device code authorization.
- Your device will restart automatically.
- Attempt to launch Horizon Worlds again.
If you’re still experiencing this after completing the steps, please submit a ticket in Uservoice under the Meta Account section. Please include your Horizon username and details on your experience.