How can I control what information I share with Meta?
We won’t access your photos and videos captured with the Glasses and stored in the App unless you choose to upload them to certain services provided by Meta (i.e., Facebook or Instagram). If you choose to upload your photos and videos to any other app, that app’s terms apply. Meta collects essential data needed to keep your Glasses and the App running, and allows you to opt in to provide additional data to improve your experience. Choosing to share additional data does not give Meta access to the photos and videos created with your Glasses. You can find more details about this data and the choice you have below.
Essential data is information needed to help keep the Glasses and the App reliable, secure, and operating normally. We primarily use this data to ensure that the Glasses and the App are operating normally, that you are correctly signed in, your security and privacy are not compromised, and to diagnose and fix any problems that you might have with the Glasses or the App. Essential data includes the following types of data:
- Data required to provide our services, such as:
- Your User ID, email and password, which are required to authenticate you with Facebook.
- Your notifications preference, which are needed to send notifications.
- Your settings to know if you have enabled voice services.
- Data required to operate the Glasses and the App, such as:
- Status of Bluetooth connectivity.
- Battery status to alert you when your battery is low.
- Status of Wi-Fi connectivity.
- Operating system version number to ensure the Glasses and the App are up to date.
- Any errors or crashes that occurred on the Glasses to ensure we fix them for normal functioning of the Glasses and the App.
- Imports of photos and videos from the Glasses to the App and delays associated with that transfer.
Additional data is information about how you use the Glasses and the App, which we primarily use to improve Facebook View. In particular, we use this data to evaluate the usefulness of the features we are developing, which enables us to decide what to build in order to offer features people find value in. If you choose to share Additional data, it may be combined with Essential data. Additional data includes the following:
- Data about your usage of the features we offer such as:
- Number of photos and videos you capture.
- Length of videos you captured.
- Number of times you used editing tools to enhance photos and videos.
- Number of times you saved photos or videos to the camera roll.
- Information about how you share photos and videos from the App such as when you share, the type of apps you share to or the method you use to share (for example, whether you use AirDrop).
- Data about performance of the features used:
- Delays associated with downloading images to camera roll.
- Delays associated with editing images.
You can choose to share additional data during your initial setup, or change your choice at any time in Settings.
To change your preference in Settings:
- Open Facebook View and tap your profile photo.
- Tap Privacy Settings, then select your preference for Share Additional Data.